Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A little more focussed

We were out for dinner yesterday evening with some truly wonderful people. He is contemplative and wise, and she is quick-witted and firey...but limiting them to these descriptions would be a great crime.

We talked until it was late and the youngest child fell asleep somewhere on a couch. We were seeking clarity, as we often do. Sharing questions and experiences is commonplace with these friends.

Our church family, which is still relatively new to me, has decided that the first week of this year will be a week of fasting and prayer. I had thought earlier that it was a good idea, but did not seriously consider it personally. After talking with our friends last night, I discover that he is beginning his fast and prayer today and will continue until Saturday. Five days of concenrated communication, reading, contemplation, and no food.

I was hooked. Not only have I been looking for something to focus on during this holiday time, but I have been seeking clarity in my dealings with God. Currently, I am on a quest to leave behind those things that are not at all true, and bring greater attention to those things that will sustain me. Life-giving nourishment is what I seek. I have written about this in a recent post.

I will be starting this morning. My goals are not well established, but having too many goals may not be the point. I would rather that I be surprised. "Surprised by Joy", as C.S. Lewis puts it.

I have a number of books at the ready. I think I'll start with this one:









Pray for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying!

andrea said...

Best of luck, Brian, and thanks for the simplest of solutions to the simplest of problems (the one with the comments). Sounds almost like a spiritual statement, doesn't it? :)

Brian the Mennonite said...

Sounds like exactly the thing I need. Got any to spare?