Monday, January 23, 2006

Barbara Reid and the Hildebrands

Well known Canadian author and illustrator, Barbara Reid, has inspired many an elementary student to dabble in the illustrative arts and relate, if even for a moment, to a beautiful world of lovingly created plasticine works of art.

Combining writing and illustrating is like swimming in the dark - its a little frightening and a lot of fun. I can't imagine a better job. - Barbara Reid

For the Hildebrands: my house; there is a generous helping of relating going on as well. The following pictures are several of Barbara Reid's creations that I can clearly relate to.

When Joyce and I moved to Brandon for me to get my education degree, we lived in this great old appartment with hardwood floors, marble staircases, and those cast iron radiators that bang in the winter. Our studio appartment was on the third floor, 43 stairs up and no elevator...but we loved it. It was cozy and we felt very trendy living within its well-aged walls. It was the kind of place where you would like to be a writer or an artist.
























We lived in the core area, right in the middle of the city, well within walking distance of everything our world consisted of. I would walk to University every morning, and it was even close enough for me to return home for lunch. In fact, as I recall, I think that was how Arianna was conceived one Thursday afternoon. Joyce would walk everywhere with our firstborn in the stroller who was never separated from her monkey.













When we outgrew the studio, Joyce's parents bought us (poor students) a house not that far from where we started. Our neighbourhood was old and rough and was in much need of prayer. The neighbours were scarey, all except our neighbours to the South. Lori and Kendell were a gift from heaven. They were a happy family with a solid grasp on good parenting. They lived in a century old castle with many years worth of potential exploring. Daily we would pass our children back and forth over the fence to play in each other's yards. We had a garden, a clothsline, and a playhouse, and they had a treehouse and a swingset. Our children were happy there, and Micah's red hair tossed back and forth on the swing.













When our fourth was six months old, we moved to Niverville to persue a good job and a chance to live closer to family...family with cousins and farms and country living.
















We have settled into our own little castle now of a little more than two years.
























Our kids have made fantastic friends and the wonderful school is only two blocks away. The people in our church are genuine folk who offer grace, questions, clarity, and monthly potlucks.
























I love my job, but I will have to find another one soon, as I am in a term position ending at the end of February. Meanwhile, we continue to enjoy our family of growing children. It puts a smile on my face to watch our blonde-haired Jane be a big sister to Sammy as she reads him stories.



















So thanks Barbara Reid for your art and your ability to inspire. The gathered motivation is not limited to children. This teacher has gleaned from your abilities and chooses to spread the wealth of your excitement. I think my art lesson this week will have something to do with you.

11 comments:

LDahl said...

SUPER-FANTASTIC!!! Love these!!!!
I am so impressed!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Lilah: Thanks for visiting but I hope that I haven't given the impression that I was the one who ctreated the plasticine pictures, I was simply relating to certain ones from Barbara Reid's creations. I would , however, love to be able to create like this and, perhaps, when my students and I give it a go this week, will also create something worth displaying.

Christy said...

Thanks for this, Brian. Our daughter Kylie took Barbara Reid's work in art this year and has talked about it non-stop ever since. She'll love this.

andrea said...

Barbara Reid is a Peeping Tom! How did she manage to get the inside track on your life like this? That said, it was a lot of fun to get a recent-mini-autobiography, Brian, especially illustrated. Real life really is better than fiction.

TheTart said...

Lovely story and wonderful illustrations.

Thanks for the great link.

SMooch,
The Tart

WCTs said...

These must be the people that live in ValGals sweet houses!
What a neat book.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Christy: You're most welcome. No matter what grade I teach, every student can get excited about Barbara Reid's work.

Andrea: It would seem so wouldn't it? Her illustrations are done in such a manner that they capture the commonality of many lives. My wife also prefers real life to fiction.

Jody: You're back! Sometimes I think that people will stop in for a visit and then head of to better lands. I also noticed that you have been visiting a blog aquaintance of mine: Cherrypie...good writing there. Thanks for visiting again.

Lyn: What a great comment. These characters would be perfect for Val's world. You can just imagine them living their lives in those priceless houses can't you?

valerie walsh said...

Hi Brian! I really loooooove this! You wrote such a beautiful story about your family and using this wonderful art was such a visual treat to go along with your loving words. I adore this!!! especially all the buildings... really tiptop!

TheTart said...

Hey Brian, I am not that kinda gal...ask my Fireman.
We love your car banner...makes us want to take a trip!
We have added you to my blogroll...is that OK?

Thanks for connecting me to Cherry...I think I found her blog via yours.

Can't wait to see what your next post is about...you have a nice group commenting here!

SMooches,
The Tart

Brian the Mennonite said...

Jody: Holy smokes Jody...you're here again. And you added me to your blogroll...Yeeha! I'm grateful for your comment about the car banner...I think it's cool too. I had a lot of fun creating it. I love the group that comments here...my invisible friends.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Way to go nan! You managed it then...
Welcome to the comment section of my blog. I look forward to getting to know you a little better. See you at YOUR blog soon.