Thursday, January 12, 2006

Trying my hand


Click to enlarge.

I've been following a number of really good art blogs for a few months and have become enthralled...and jealous. The creative energy undulating through the atmosphere has inspired me to give it a go. I have listened, watched, and made my mental notes. I went through a bit of a draft period to come to my final product (above), which is probably normal.

I started with a simple felt tipped pen drawing (shown below) to set down the concept,

and then decided what medium to use from there. The final product utilizes tempra paints that I found at school, felt tipped pens, and chalk. It is now hanging (30" x 84") in my classroom and I have already had offers to purchase. Nothing puts a smile on my face like words of affirmation...it's my LOVE language.

I think I'll look into taking some local art classes so I can learn some real concepts and not just fake it. I've always had a penchant ( I love that word ) for watercolour. Perhaps I'll try my hand there to begin with.

I'm also hashing through the whole digital camera purchase thing. I'm considering the Nikon D70s. Any thoughts?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian I had no idea you were so talented. I always thought there was an artist stuck inside of me somewhere, but never had the courage to explore it. Maybe it runs deep in the family gene. Who knows! Bravo Brian, for exploring yours talents!! Well done!!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Holy shit Janice...who knew you were lurking in the shadows? I'm assuming this is my sister Janice...
Welcome to the blog world and thanks for your unexpected and thoughtful comment. Perhaps you do have that hidden artist. I certainly would encourage you to go looking.

Anonymous said...

SURPRISE! Yes, it's me. I've been hovering around for awhile, just never knew if I should expose myself. By the way watch your language, or I'll tell Mom.

andrea said...

Hi Brian, this is your twin sister, born earlier and separated at birth (who knew reproductive technology was so advanced in the '60s? :). Obviously we are related because you're so bloody talented with a paintbrush!! I lovelovelove that you are exploring your visual creative side, the results are fantastic, but if you get that camera I'll have to come out there, kill you with my bare hands (I'm almost as tall as you!), and then steal it. So watch your step, little brother!

Brian the Mennonite said...

I'm assuming you give your approval of the camera then.

valerie walsh said...

this is a wonderful drawing! of course i love the use of buildings and i really like the car. Looks like somewhere i have been or somewhere i am going! great job!!!

Brian the Mennonite said...

Janice: Don't tell mom. She'll visit my blog and die of a heart attack...you wouldn't want that on your shoulders.

Andrea: A sister I never knew...sounds fun. That would make FOUR sisters and three brothers. I think I'll buy the camera just to see if you'll stand by your threat. It's been a while since I've had a good scrap (grade 9, in science class).

Val: Thanks for your encouragement. It means a lot coming from you and Andrea. I could only dream to present buildings the way you do. You're right about the picture...it kind of feels like somewhere I've been.

Anonymous said...

How easily you forget, you are the one that told us about your blog at Christmas. By the way I told her about your Christmas shirt story, she just about peed herself laughing.

Darren said...

Holy SHIT Brian. That is amazing. Yeah, who knew... (By the way, you can tell your mom that I swore; I don't care!!)

Brian the Mennonite said...

Darren, Darren, Darren...it has been too long. It's Friday, and I have a couple of scotch's under my belt, and I am missing you. We need to get together.

Anonymous said...

I'm confused,

If you've always had a penchant for watercolour then do you need a different penchant for each color? Doesn't it get messy when they're all hanging around your neck? I had a neighbour once who had a palette for watercolour - that seemed to work good.

(very nice art)

Brian the Mennonite said...

Rod, I think you're confusing penchant for pendant...ya jackass.

LDahl said...

Wow Brian, awesome!!!! Bravo, more!!!