Sunday, January 08, 2006

Back to school

One more day off until I get back to the classroom. I'm feeling guilty that I didn't get to school for even an hour during the break to get a little bit of organizing done. I think I'll skip the pool tomorrow and just go straight to school for 7:00.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the familiar smiling faces. There's something irreplacable about 27 seven-year-olds smiling at you and thinking that you are their hero. 27 kids will be crowding around my feet tomorrow, I'll hardly have a chance to speak or to walk from the door to my desk. "Mr. Hildebrand....Mr. Hildebrand... guess what I got for Christmas...you wanna guess where I went for my holiday?...are we doing Monkey Math today?...which chapter book are you starting this week?...can I go to the bathroom?...I walked to school today in my new boots...Fred said that I was stupid...I need to call my mom because she forgot to put my lunch in my backpack...my zipper is stuck...I lost a tooth...

I'll have about an hour and a half to myself tomorrow morning before all the adoration and commotion begins. Just enough time to remember that holidays, although for teachers are incredibly generous, never seem to be quite long enough.

3 comments:

andrea said...

You just put me back three years when I job-shared a Grade 2 class. I loved those kids: not babies any more but still full of wonder and naivete. Enjoy your return to the classroom. "They" say that now till spring break is the year's optimum season for the big learnin' to take place.

Brian the Mennonite said...

You're right about the age and them not being babies any more. I taught grade one for two years and you have to mother hen that age a bit too much for my liking. Grade two is just right. Independent enough and not yet sassy. I hadn't heard about the after Christmas befroe Spring break optimum learning time...that's good to know, you know.

Sprinkles said...

There's nothing quite like hearing the bell ring and having all the kiddies come swarming in to see you all excited because they haven't seen you for awhile...they glow with happiness.

We can try to explain it, but the experience can't be fully understood unless you've been in those shoes and it truly is a nice feeling.

I've taught several different grade levels, but teaching seven year olds is one of the best ages to work with. They are little sponges aching for knowledge and have huge hearts at that age.

Have a great first day back!

Truly,
Insanity Infusion