Wednesday, January 04, 2006

What size are your perforations?

"All Size Perforations" read the sign as we drove to town. The sign was always there but I never knew what it was for. "Perforations...percolator" Maybe it has something to do with coffee.

As I grew older I discovered what it all was about.
I began to use the word as part of my vocabulary. "Use it ten times and it will be permanent." Trying to tear something along the recommended dotted line I would yell, "Why can't they make better perforations than this?...I'm going to start my own perforation business and do it right. Stupid cheap-ass perforations." I haven't always been the most gracious person.

This is the book I read yesterday. It made me mad, scared, want to cry, smile and hope. The underlying premise of this book goes completely against the Mennonite tradition, and most of Protestant thinking. I felt like putting it down many times and picking up one of my other well-worn books to find a comfortable phrase.

It's 197 pages passed before my eyes quickly. "I can just imagine the reviews," I thought. "And what would my mother think."

I want to have an open mind. But what a lot of people seem to forget about that theory is that, by definition, the open mind should eventually come to close on something that is true. Otherwise the mind is simply like a city sewer, accepting all and rejecting nothing.

Mostly, I loved the book, and yes, I will continue to read further along these lines. It's just that it's not completely confortable to do so. When will I close the grate covering the intake valve?...and are there perforations in the grate or is it completely closed? I guess that's why we have the spirit of God. The spirit will reveal the formula.

Every ant knows the formula of its ant-hill,
every bee knows the formula of its beehive.
They know it in their own way, not in our way.
Only humankind does not know its formula.
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I'm hungry.

No comments: